10am - 3.30pm
Learn how to make your own wooden lamp with Beck Prior (founder of Priormade).
Priormade’s distinctive wooden geometric lamps are sold nationally and internationally. Beck uses a range of sustainable birch plywood and beautiful ‘naked’ hardwoods. Each lamp is paired with a colourful braided cord.
Now you can join Beck to make your own lamp out of natural wood salvaged from The Bristol Wood Recycling Centre! During this 5.5 hour workshop you will learn the skills needed to create your own working lamp that you’ll be able to take home on the day!
You will learn how to safely use woodworking equipment; hand tools and industrial machines. You will learn how to prepare and wire all components, learning about basic wiring for the home too.
You have a choice of which lamp to make: an exposed filament lamp (bulb included) or one that can hold a lampshade (lampholder extender included). You have the choice to leave the lamp ‘naked’ letting the natural grain speak for itself, or add patterns and colour using paint and paint pens. All lamps are finished with raw, organic linseed oil.
All the lamp fittings, wood and materials you need will be provided on the day.
Maximum 4 participants per workshop.
All lamps in the photographs (apart from the first) were made during a workshop.
LAMP MAKING WORKSHOP
- Availability is limited as classes are small with a maximum of 4 attendees per class.
- The course price is for you to create one lamp per person.
- The reclaimed wood will range from dark to light woods depending on what is available at the Bristol Wood Recycling Centre.
- Unfortunately, you will not be making a plywood lamp as laminating the layers is unachievable in a 1 day workshop.
- If you decide to leave the lamp ‘naked’ and have finished early you’re completely free to leave.
- The price includes either a bulb (of your choice) OR an extension bar (for a shade).
- Shades are not included. If you’d like an extension bar and a bulb, the bulbs can be purchased from us at cost price (£5).
- Workshop is only suitable for adults (18+)
- We will be in contact before the workshop to discuss your cord colour requirements.
- Lunch is not provided, but there are ltos of lovely places to eat nearby. Tea, coffee are soft drinks will be provided.
If you are purchasing this workshop as a gift for someone, please email Beck at firstname.lastname@example.org for a printable PDF. The lucky reciever of your gift will be able to change their date as long as it's within 2 weeks of the date of the workshop you have purchased. Any questions please contact Beck Prior.