Wow I mean, what a year 2021 was.
I thought maybe by the end of January I’d have a few more words to explain the glow in my heart, but nope: I’m still pretty speechless.
For three years I’ve kept my head down, worked hard, and focused on bringing this shop to life. Actually, make that 10 years if I include when I began Priormade which has ultimately led to where I am now. I'm passionate about sustainability in contemporary design and wasn’t prepared to give up. Six months ago we started getting really noticed, properly nationally noticed, and knowing that it’s the result of all that hard work is unbelievable.
The incredible highlights of 2021 (mainly Sept - Dec 21) have been:
- Winning ‘Best UK High Street Shop’. Presented by Holly Tucker, Independent Awards (Founder of Not on the High Street), Mark Constantine (Founder of Lush Cosmetics), Royal Mail, Natwest and Dell. There were so many fantastic businesses in my category, who absolutely deserved to win too. I am blown away and very proud.
- Featured in the top UK 50 Independent shops in the Sunday Times (Style Magazine).
- Featured in so many magazines and newspapers: The Guardian, Platinum, Stylist, Your Home, Real Homes, Living UK, Country Homes and Interiors, Craft Focus, 91 Magazine, Homes and Interiors Scotland and Simple Things.
- Opening a huge shop in literally the shiniest shopping district of Bristol. Our neighbours are Ted Baker, Oliver Bonas, Harvey Nicks and the Apple shop(!)
- Being asked to talk on BBC Radio… three times!
- Interviewed on podcasts, blogs and presented for business courses.
- Being able to provide jobs for 8 members of amazing staff. EIGHT… well 9, if you include me!
I thought I would be sitting down at the end of these 6 months to write a bit of a gushy, earnest letter. But I really still don’t know what to say. I am so grateful to everyone that has followed the shop since it began in 2019, and to all of the brand-new customers that have stumbled upon us. Running a shop this size is exhausting, fun and the most adrenaline-inducing emotional rollercoaster. I love it! I just hope this year continues to bring joy - although hopefully does so a little more calmly *please*.
Thank you all so very much,
Beck Prior xx